Country specialists for international research group on proportionality analysis
Five half time positions available in the following countries: South Africa, Canada, Germany, India and Poland.
Academic background: A doctorate degree in law or in one of the fields in the social sciences (e.g. political science, economics, sociology, psychology); For researchers without a doctorate degree in law, a strong background in law is required; Experience (i.e. published works) using social science research methods: qualitative and/or quantitative (e.g. interviews, archival work, organizational research, surveys, experiments, etc.).
Each country specialist will be a member of an international group of researchers headed by the principal investigator (PI). The country specialist will plan and manage the project's research activities in his/her country, in coordination with the rest of the group and the PI (The tasks detailed in this document can be also divided between two researchers in a country, in coordination with the PI).
These activities involve:
(1) Conducting a review of the legal aspects of proportionality analysis (PA) in her/his country, as part of a comparative legal study that constitutes an important first stage of the project. This research will be in collaborations with the research group and the PI;
(2) Conducting a study of the policy making process in her/his country with an emphasis on the existing integration of human rights and proportionality considerations in this process. This study will also be part of a comparative policy study which will be undertaken by the research group. This will involve original data gathering such as interviews with relevant office-holders, archival documents, participant-observations, and other methods, as will deem appropriate and practical in coordination with the principal investigator.
The main goal of activities (1) and (2) is to provide both normative conclusions about the application of PA, as well as knowledge and ideas regarding potential methods, guidelines, rules, distinctions and implications (whether general or specific to certain domains), that may be used to increase the quality and consistency of decisions, based on proportionality analysis in policy processes.
(3) Conducting a set of experiments in her/his respective country. This involves making the scientific and logistic preparations, preparing and selecting the textual materials (cases), conducting pilots (where necessary), assessing reliability and validity of measurement tools, recruiting participants and expert-panel members; securing the physical location for carrying out the experiments; collaborating with the principal investigator in adapting the experimental materials to the relevant context of the specific country; carrying out the experiments in collaboration with the principal policy researcher; and gathering and securing the raw data (Methodological training in experimental methods will be provided to the group researchers by the project).
(4) Recruiting relevant PhD students and supervising their research, in coordination with the principal investigator. Integrating the PhD research plans into the project. The PhD projects will be able to also include comparative, theoretical, international, interdisciplinary, etc. – as the relevant students and their supervisors will find fit, in coordination with the PI.
(5) The country specialist will participate in various activities (e.g. meeting, video conferences, etc.), and will take part in preparing academic publications, as specified in the project work-plan.
(6) In the final stages of the project each country specialist will be in charge of summarizing the empirical results of the research in their respective country, will participate in the analysis of the comparative results, and the findings in other countries, including assessment of contextual differences that may be found. Finally, the country specialist will take part in formulating policy proposals as part of the concluding discussion of the project.
Please contact Talya Steiner at email@example.com in case you are interested.